Thursday, 13 April 2017

Why I Believe series (part one)

Recently I did a course on how to effectively share the Christian message with people. Part of the course involved sharing my own story, of how I became a Christian. I'm one of those people that can't really make out a specific time when I became a Christian. It was more of a gradual process for me. The course made me stop and think, reflect on why I believe what I claim to believe. It led me to write down what I discovered, and I decided to write the series, 'Why I believe'. The Bible talks about always being ready to give an account to anyone that asks us for the reason for our faith. It's important that as Christians we're able to share our story. We all have a story, no matter how trivial or unimportant we may think.

Here's the first part in the series:

My earliest memory of going to church was when I was about 6 or 7 years old in Nigeria. The church wasn't very far from the house, but it probably took me about 20 minutes to walk there by myself. If my parents weren't awake yet (first service started at 7am) or my neighbors weren't ready, I went by myself. I enjoyed Sunday school; got to hear fascinating stories from the Bible. My favorite Bible story was the one about Solomon and the two prostitutes. These two women had a baby each and one night, one woman's baby died. When she woke up and saw that her baby was dead, she switched her baby with the living baby and pretended the living baby was hers. The mother of the living baby woke up and realized she had a dead baby sleeping with her, and she knew it wasn't hers. As both women claimed the living baby was theirs, they went to King Solomon to help resolve the issue. His solution has always fascinated me. As the women argued back and forth, he asked for a sword and said he was going to cut the baby in two and give half to each woman. The first woman was pretty much cool with it. The second woman begged for the baby's life and asked for it to be given to the first woman instead. Solomon decided the second woman was the mother and gave the baby to her. I was bowled over by the story and the wisdom of Solomon. I wanted to be as wise as him, knowing what to do in every situation. At Sunday school we got to ask questions. I'll never forget the time a little kid asked the teacher who created God. The teacher's response was 'we don't ask questions like that'. As a kid myself, I was confused. I didn't understand why the teacher said we couldn't ask the question. I thought it was pretty simple; no one created God. If someone did, then that person would be God, and we could just go on and on forever. Anyway, that was the beginning of my journey of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment